Thursday, January 29, 2009

Carboard Boxes, Sand Pits

I started this post, then realized my wife had a brief blog on using the carboard box. But I don't care I am the one that brought the box home anyways. Do you remember the day Dad brought home a new fridge, new washer or dryer, or other large appliance? The first thing I went for was the box and my Dad always made sure not cut the box up to much or he gave me the roll of duct tape. (Yes it is duct tape not duck tape). Another time my Dad wanted to aerate the lawn and sand it so he bought at least a yard or two of sand from the local landscaping and concrete company. The dump truck dumped the load right on the driveway. All my neighborhood friends showed up and we played all afternoon. The next day my Dad used about half of it spreading it onto the lawn. But that left at least a 3 foot pile of sand. For about a month it became our own volcano, ski resort, tunnel mine system and lastly a jump pit (from the roof). My Dad let all the pile of sand sit for at least a month until he came home from work and saw us in mid air off the roof. The rest of the pile went to the back yard and garden the next day. Also my friends and I made up a game of tag called Fisherman that was so complex I don't think I am allowed enough words on this blog to explain nor can I really remember all the rules. We started using old hoola hoops and golf clubs for equipment. I asked my Dad for what we could use as a base in the game of tag. He started to go all out with building something out of plywood and sanding off the corners so we wouldn't get hurt. Funny how my parent's never allowed us a video game system and we only had one TV in the house up until I was in high school. But they always went out of their way with the simple fun.

1 comment:

  1. I was JUST talking about that sand pile the other day! Best all-time favorite 'toy'. Jump ropes also made nice invisible barriers and holding tanks for Fisherman.

    ReplyDelete